Simultaneous interpreting is one of the main types of interpreting; its goal is to facilitate the spoken communication between people who speak different languages.
There are several main types of interpreting:
- escort interpreting
- interpreting for a Notary Public
In this article we will give you useful information about simultaneous interpreting – what it is, when it is used and what are the criteria for the team performing it.
*You can read information about consecutive interpreting here.
*You can read information about escort interpreting here.
*You can read information about interpreting for a Notary Public here.
What is simultaneous interpreting?
With simultaneous interpreting, also known as conference interpreting, the interpretation is delivered to listeners in real time, while the original speech is still going on.
In contrast to consecutive interpreting, with simultaneous interpreting there is no delay between the interpreting and the speech and the source language. The speaker does not need to pause and wait for the interpreter.
Simultaneous interpreting usually requires two interpreters, because the workload is immense – the interpreters does not have any time to pause, take notes or use any aids when encountering unfamiliar terms.
During simultaneous interpreting, the interpreter takes a break every half hour. This necessitates the presence of a second interpreter, who can take over smoothly without interruption of the interpreting and loss of meaning of the speech in the original language.
The audience listens to the interpreting using earpieces. Therefore, simultaneous interpreting required the use of technical equipment, such as earpieces for the interpreters, microphones and interpreting booths.
Simultaneous interpreting can also be carried out through whispering, for example during business meetings, negotiations or museum tours. This does not require specialized equipment, but it is possible only when the audience is small.
Which events are suitable for simultaneous interpreting?
Simultaneous interpreting is used mainly for large group events, when one person addresses an audience.
Such events may be:
- Diplomatic conferences
- International conventions
- Business and board meetings
- Training sessions
- Seminars, lectures, presentations
Selection criteria for interpreting teams
When people organize seminars, business forums and other events, they often have concerns about selecting an interpreting team. This is because it is of crucial importance that the delivery of the speaker’s message into another language must preserve the meaning of the source content.
The main selection criteria are:
- The interpreters must be perfectly fluent in the language they will be interpreting to;
- They need to have experience in interpreting as a team, because in 90% of the cases they work in a team of two;
- They need to be familiar with using interpreting equipment (booths, earpieces);
- They need to be prepared in advance on the topic of the events;
- They need to use the terminology appropriate for the respective event;
- They need to take responsibility to the organizers of the forum and to guarantee quality service;
- They need to keep confidential all types of materials provided to them;
How we can help if you find yourself in need of simultaneous interpreting?
- We at Arte.doc Translation Agency offer interpreting services in the four main types – consecutive, simultaneous, escorting and for notarization purposes, as well as chuchotage (whispered interpreting) and sign language interpreting.
- We select interpreters according to our company’s standards and your requirements. Our goal is to find a suitable team of interpreters for your needs, to deliver quality interpreting services and the event to pass smoothly.
- We have a company system of specific questions in order to determine the exact parameters of the event, the number of interpreters necessary, the venue, the duration of the event, audience, number of speakers, equipment supply (booths, number of earpieces, microphones, etc.), available materials on the topic, security level, style, and other characteristics of the event.
- We provide an estimate budget for you to consider before you book us.
- We guarantee quality performance of the engagement, prompt reactions and professional attitude from our interpreters, therefore providing you with assurance and peace of mind during your event
- Our mission is to assist you by providing a high level of efficiency and effectiveness during the event.
- Our team can provide all necessary technical equipment for your simultaneous interpreting needs.
What sets us apart?
1. Interpreting team selection:
All our interpreters go through a two-step approval process.
2. Pricing policy:
We are also distinguished by the fact that we have a transparent price list on our website www.artedoc.com, which we always observe.
3. Confidentiality of the provided information:
We have a policy in place to ensure the confidentiality of the information you provide to us before and after the event.
Our managers and linguists sign a privacy statement for each project.
More information about other issues, related to translation and legalization are available in our blog of useful articles here.
You can read reviews from clients here.
If you want to receive always current and useful information and special offers directly, please subscribe to our e-mail newsletter here.